The cemetery itself has existed since circa 1791 with the death of Nehemiah Mead, Sr., on August 19 of that year. He was born in 1721. (S.P. Mead, 414)
Caroline Mills Smith was the second wife of William H. Mead. She passed away on June 3, 1910, making her the last to be buried here. She was the daughter of Ebenezer and Rhoda Page Smith, and was born in the Roxbury section of Stamford on November 28, 1825. Her father is interred in this family cemetery; he was born April 25, 1791 and died August 27, 1873.
Bailey, Whitman. "The Bill Mead Oak". Greenwich News & Graphic, May 6, 1930.
Greenwich News. "Obituary for Caroline Smith Mead". June 10, 1910, page 7,
Greenwich Probate Records, Vol. 5, 62-63.
Mead, Jeffrey Bingham. "Burying Grounds A Gateway Into Local History".
Greenwich Time, June 12, 1987.
Mead, Spencer. History and Genealogy of the Mead Family. New York:
Knickerbocker Press, 1901.
© 2000-2008 The Historic Mead Family Burying Grounds Association, Inc. All rights reserved.
The contents of this site may not be reproduced
in whole or in part without the consent of the copyright owner.
Letters, photos, and emails to the author become the property of the association.
Site built and maintained by Green Rose Design